Public meetings regarding Project Pascalis – 25 total public meetings
DRB – 6 meetings
- November 4, 2021 – Design Review Board has special-called work session to receive update from the City Manager’s Office regarding the potential purchase of seven parcels, including Hotel Aiken, in downtown Aiken by the Aiken Municipal Development Commission. The purpose of the meeting was to include the DRB early in the process and notify them of potential upcoming changes.
- January 4, 2022 – In a work session, Design Review Board members hear from representatives from RPM and Raines Company to discuss potential project involving Hotel Aiken and neighboring parcels.
- February 1, 2022 – Design Review Board conducts site visit to Hotel Aiken and review of the neighboring parcels. DRB meets in a work session to further discuss visit and view drone photos.
- February 17, 2022 – Design Review Board holds special-called work session to discuss structural assessment report of Hotel Aiken.
- March 1, 2022 – Design Review Board discussed the downtown development project in the work session and at the regular meeting, with a 6-1 vote, approves demolition, with conditions, of Hotel Aiken.
- March 17, 2022– Design Review Board holds a special-called work session to discuss the multi-family and parking garage component of the downtown development project.
AMDC – 11 meetings
- June 16, 2020 – AMDC hears presentation on Redevelopment Plan for downtown from Laurens Street to Chesterfield Street from Richland to Park Avenue
- July 7, 2020 – AMDC adopts Redevelopment Plan One for downtown Aiken
- August 18, 2020 – AMDC considers draft letter to (then) owners of Hotel Aiken
- November 9, 2021 – AMDC hears presentations from Urban3 and AECOM regarding feasibility and merits of downtown development project. AMDC passes resolution accepting assignment of downtown parcels.
- November 23, 2021 – AMDC considers authorization of purchase and sale agreement in connection with Project Pascalis
- November 30, 2021 – AMDC considers authorization of purchase and sale agreement in connection with Project Pascalis
- January 11, 2022 – AMDC hears update about Raines Company
- February 8, 2022 – AMDC conducts site visit to Hotel Aiken
- March 15, 2022 – AMDC receives update on Project Pascalis
- April 12, 2022 – AMDC receives update on Project Pascalis
- April 20, 2022– Public input sessions held with presentations and Q&A from AMDC/City Economic Development, potential developers, architects, and traffic engineer.
City Council – 3 meetings and 4 work sessions
- August 10, 2020 – City Council adopts Resolution 0810202 to approve the Aiken Municipal Development Commission’s Downtown Redevelopment Plan One.
- Work sessions in 2021: March 3, March 8, March 15, April 5 – City Council work sessions, economic development plan discussed
- March 28, 2022 – City Council votes on first reading of ordinance to convey portion of 100 block of Newberry St SW to RPM Development Partners
- May 9, 2022 – City Council votes on second reading of ordinance to convey portion of 100 block of Newberry St SW to RPM Development Partners
Aiken Downtown Development Association – Hotel revision public input session
- June 7, 2022 – Architects bring new designs based on extensive prior public feedback for review and input.